DNS Server Not Responding: A relatable problem many of you may have experienced while browsing is an error in DNS. If you came across the statement ‘DNS Server is Not Responding’ you might get frustrated because you probably want to complete your project on time or have so much mail remaining to read and respond to that you wonder how and when will this get done when the server itself decides to ‘not respond’.
Although this may not occur every day (let us thank heavens that it does not) but it occurs once in a while when the DNS server that translates a domain name doesn’t respond for some reasons. If you are clueless as to what needs to be done for this situation then you are reading the most appropriate article. Here we give you a number of solutions to this problem.
How to Fix DNS Server Not Responding Error:
Continue to Read below for easy solutions.
Before we do anything technical, let’s do some basic tasks to narrow down the problem.
- Start with loading the website in a different browser to see if it’s a browser related problem. You can clear the browser cache and then give it a shot as well. If your problem is indeed browsers related you can identify it immediately at this step.
- Another thing you might want to try is, connecting a second device like a tablet or another laptop either wirelessly or wired. Anything that accesses the internet will work. Before you begin trying to solve the issue, it will help to know where the issue is occurring. Now try to browse that particular website and check if you still get the DNS Server Not Responding error.
- In this case, if you still get DNS errors, then the problem is actually in your router or with your ISP. If you can connect to the website, then the problem is coming from the first computer.
- Unplugging Router- If you use a wireless network you can also use an Ethernet cable to connect your PC directly to your router and check if you still get the error message
If the above-given solutions fail , go with the methods mentioned below.
Don’t Miss: Clash of Clans Hack
Change The DNS Server Addresses
This method usually does the job and fixes the problem. Let us see how it is done.
As most of you would be aware, DNS server address is usually received automatically, but you can set it to something more reliable. As the DNS server, your PC obtained automatically is not responding, you can change it to one of the most reliable DNS servers. This is not very complex to do. We can use any of the reliable ones like Google DNS.
- First right click on your Network icon. Then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Then click on Local Area Connection and then in the new window click Properties.
- Now you will need to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then go to Properties again. Once there, select the radio button that says Use the following DNS server Addresses.
- Now for the important step, in the Preferred DNS Server field type in 18.104.22.168 and in the Alternate DNS Server field type in 22.214.171.124 then check Validate Settings Upon Exit box followed by clicking OK
Once this step is done, go ahead and try to connect to your internet and browse the websites that you were getting the error to see if the problem is solved.
Click here >> Download Google Play Services APK
Flush The DNS of Your Computer
We have included another useful method in case the problem persists after the previous method. Windows and other operating systems usually store the DNS data in the cache. A lot of useless information is often stored here too like the data of the websites recently visited etc. and clearing the cache may solve the problem. To do this-
- Click the Start button and type in cmd in the search box and press Enter
- Command prompt will appear, then type in IP config /flush DNS and hit Enter. This will remove all the DNS cache entry which just might resolve the problem
- Sometimes, this is not enough to flush out all the cache that needs to be discarded. Given below are a few commands. Please note them-
- IP config /register DNS
- IP config /release
- IP config /renew
- netsh Winsock reset
- Type in the above-given commands and press Enter after each of them. Next, restart your computer and check if the problem still exists
Power Cycle Your Router and Computer
There could be other minor issues which we sometimes overlook and then panic. This simple step could be all you need. If you happen to use a router then unplug the router from the power source and as well as the computer and be sure to leave them unplugged for at least one minute. What this does is clear the memory and release residual charge.
Next, plug them in again, reconnect your modem and wait for it to fully connect. After it has powered on completely, reconnect the power cable to your router and allow it to boot up. Once you have power cycled both devices, try connecting to a website again. Sometimes you will find that this alone fixes the problem.Now see if the problem is solved or not.
Disable Extra Connections and Firewall
Windows actually give you extra connections already installed which are rarely used apart from times like these, when the DNS server is not functioning. Usually, the best thing to do is to have only the one connection that you use regularly and remove the other connections so that they can’t cause any kind of connection issue
So where are these extra connections which might be causing the problem?
- Go to Start and open up the Control Panel
- In Control Panel, you will see Network and Sharing Center. Open that and find Change Adapter Settings.
- Here you can check if there is any extra connection other than the one you are using. If there are others, simply disable them so that one the one main connection can work well.
The same can be said about Firewall . You can simply disable it and check whether it was the troublemaker or not. Some people reported that after disabling their firewalls they problem was gone. This could be a possible solution which you could keep in mind.
I hope this guide will help you fix your DNS Sever Not Responding Problem on your windows PC/laptop computer. If any have any doubts comment your problem below.